Monday, July 5, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

It's 7:30 and I have homemade blueberry ice cream chilling in the freezer.

Used to be I thought you had to have an ice cream machine to make ice cream. Looking back on that now, I can't quite believe I was so dumb.

I remember hearing one of my grandmothers talk about making ice cream by putting a one pound coffee can full of the necessary ingredients inside of a larger coffee can, packing the sides with ice, and rolling it back and forth on the porch for hours. Voila, there was ice cream.

I didn't have to go that route (which is good because we don't get coffee in cans 'round here). No, thanks to simply in season, I can whip up a nice quart and a half of ice cream with just the ingredients, a big bowl, a big baking dish and a mixer. That's it. Well, a freezer too.

Without further ado:

Homemade ice cream
3-4 cups of mashed strawberries (or peaches or blueberries, or whatever you fancy tossing in)
2 cups heavy whipping cream (whipped to soft peaks)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (or 1.25 cups of homemade sweetened condensed milk)
1 cup cold water
6 TBSP sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Chill all ingredients. Mix well in large bowl (a 2 quart bowl won't cut it, you need a bigger one, or it's going to get everywhere). Pour into 13x9 cake pan and put in freezer 2-4 hours or until mixture becomes mushy. The recipe says to pour it back in the bowl and blend, but I found it just as easy to blend in the pan, so it's up to you... but blend well again. Return pan to freezer for another 3-4 hours.

As this sits in the freezer, it WILL get hard. But it's still super tasty.

No comments: